The mission of the Orchestral Program at SCPA is to provide the finest level of musical training available to both high school and elementary students, emphasizing the development of the whole musician. In addition to instruction in their major area, music students benefit from their participation in chamber ensembles, master classes and other orchestral performances. This program prepares its graduates to continue their musical studies in both major conservatories and university departments.
Students major in violin, viola, cello, or string bass. Instrumental instruction is provided by the faculty of the School for Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA), and by members of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.
Private instruction for nonmajors is available to all students based on availability.
- Recognized as one of the top programs in the USA by the GRAMMY Foundation. Named a GRAMMY Signature School three consecutive years.
- Performed with the Cincinnati POPS Orchestra and the Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra.
- Invited by President Obama to perform at the White House
- Performed at Carnegie Hall 2005, 2008.
- Received Superior Ratings at State Orchestra Contests.
- Selected to perform at the Ohio Music Educators Association (OMEA) state conference in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004.
- Students accepted into local Youth Symphony Orchestras and State Orchestras.
Orchestra 3A – Intermediate Orchestra
The Corbett String Quartet began at SCPA in 1986 as the first program of it's kind in the nation. With the support of the Corbett Foundation, four members members of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra string section were selected to be artists-in-residence at The School for Creative and Performing Arts. The Quartet works weekly with student musicians in private and string ensemble development. These four professional musicians provide the students with advanced training, serve as mentors and provide invaluable music career guidance. The Corbett String Quartet Program is unique and highly specialized, and is extremely successful in developing top-notch student musicians.
The Corbett String Quartet is James Braid (violin), Michelle Wikison (violin), Julian Wilkison (viola) and Norman Johns (cello).